The following templates, forms, and examples are organized by steps in the usability process. They can be customized for your organization's usability needs. All of these are in the public domain and can be freely downloaded.
Topics on This Page
Questions to Ask at Kick-Off Meetings (DOC - 157KB) contains questions pertaining to your site purpose/vision, goals, audiences, tasks, and usability objectives, requirements, technology needs, timeline and plan.
Sample job descriptions for usability positions.
- Technical Information Specialist (Usability Specialist, GS 13/14) (DOC - 165KB)
- Sample Position Descriptions for Web Staff (Webcontent.gov)
- Usability Intern Interview Questions & Sample Projects Template (DOC - 154KB)
- Usability Intern Announcement Template (DOC - 152KB)
Usability Statements of Work (SOW)
- Usability Statement of Work (DOC - 93KB) – Sample SOW covers a range of user-centered design activities.
- Usability and Focus Group Participant Recruitment (DOC - 36KB) - Sample SOW on usability and focus group recruitment.
- Web Usability Consulting (DOC - 42KB) - Sample SOW for acquiring Usability analysis and testing.
- Web Usability Testing (DOC - 48KB) - Sample SOW for acquiring Usability testing analysis and lessons learned.
Usability Test Plan
Usability Test Plan Template (DOC - 86.5KB) - Word document template for creating a usability test plan.
Test Facilitator's Guide
Test Facilitator's Guide (DOC - 148KB) - Script that the facilitator uses to run a usability test.
Usability Test Screeners
Series of questions designed to identify and recruit qualified usability test participants.
- Usability Test Screener - Government Focus (DOC - 152KB)
- Usability Test Screener - Non-Government Focus (DOC - 157KB)
Videotape Consent Form (DOC - 152KB) - Explains who is conducting the study, and what privacy and other rights participants have.
Note Taker’s Guide
What to Test/Note taker’s Guide (DOC - 230KB) - format for presenting usability questions, scenarios, recommended pathways, and measures.
Pre- and Post-Test Questions and Task Scenarios
Tools to collect information on users and how the user feels about a Web site or product.
- WAI Site Usability Testing Questions (W3.org)
- System Usability Scale (SUS) (DOC - 54.5KB) (Usabilitynet.org)
Formative – report that documents test findings and recommendations.
Test report templates for writing the usability test report.
- Research style usability test report template (DOC - 144KB)
- Short (informal) usability test report template (DOC - 216KB)
- Long (formal) usability test report template (DOC - 536KB)
Summative usability testing assesses how a Web product measures up against certain usability standards (e.g., the International Organization for Standardization). The CIF report is an international usability reporting standard.
- Common Industry Format (CIF) (NIST)